5 Things which add NO value to your resume and may even cause you to be rejected. Remember, if it doesn’t add value, don’t include it!
1. Every job you have ever had. I still see resumes with jobs going back 40 years. This dates you and most of these old jobs have nothing to do with the job you want. Avoid as the waiter job you had in high school adds little value to the Sr. PM position you want.
2. Dates you graduated from College (unless you are a recent Grad!) For everyone else, include your Degree, lose your dates as the reader may have a bias against younger or older candidates.
3. Your High School and High School Activities (unless you are a new Grad). Yes, I still see Project Managers, with Bachelor’s or Master’s Degrees with HS activities. Football team? Hmm...
4. Odd and sporadic volunteer experience. If you handed out plates of food to the homeless on Thanksgiving in 1982, you are probably not up for the “Mother Theresa Award of the Year”. This may appear as if you are groveling for sainthood.
5. “References Available upon Request.” Yes, from a legal standpoint, I need to check references. Have them ready but don't include the obvious!